Thursday, May 24, 2007

Daydream believer

Well, I used the fact that the baby took a nap this morning to absolutely waste my time web-surfing. I'm a bad SAHM. Of course, as soon as I began to type, the sound of keys clacking woke the baby, which only proves that I should have been more idle.

Anyway, I found the most beautiful shawl when I arbitrarily clicked someone's blog link on the Spindler's email list:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(The shawl pattern is for sale here.) I need a new project like I need a hole in the head, and I actually spent a moment contemplating handspinning some alpaca for this. Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself. I can't even finish mattress-stitching a sweater that's already half sewn up!

The blogger I found is Taueret, who I have now added to my RSS feed. I need to be careful about finding interesting knitting blogs though, I used to have quite a habit. She also cracked me up with a "look at the hideous/funny photos from my vintage pattern books" post. I think the picture speaks for itself:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pure wool softened with a mist of mohair, then hardened with a double barrel of buckshot! The sweater's not bad, but the pose is priceless.

There must be something of the eternal optimist in me, because even in these "hideous old pattern" books, I always seem to find something I think would look nice knitted up in a color I like, etc.

When I saved that picture to post it here, I titled it "shotgun handknits," which is ironic because having a shotgun pointed at me is probably the only way I'm ever going to finish any of my WIPs. Maybe I'll post a copy of this pic in my craft room as motivation, and psych myself up that this chick will come after me if I don't have a sweater done SOON.

Looking at that picture made me think of buckshot jeans. I don't recall where I heard about them, probably some kind of "weird news" story or something.

That's it for today, the baby is getting cranky.